Thursday, March 30, 2006

A very straightforward quite lovely cupcake

Image hosting by Photobucket

This is the cupcake that I started and finished today (can you tell that I like quick projects?). It was a little hard to do the bottom. You start out with 6 stitches distributed on 3 dpns and then you increase many times. First off, so few stitches on dpns really frustrate me. And, second, for some reason I made the stitches really tight at the bottom.

Even though the pattern called for a bottle cap to be placed inside, I also added a cardboard circle. It keeps the cupcake standing better than just the bottle cap alone.

It was very interesting and "fun" to try to get the stitches closed at the top. That is probably why the cherry looks a little odd.

Either way you throw it, people around here like it a lot. I enjoyed making it overall. It was the first project I actually completed on dpns. I like the little ribbing on the brown cake part of the cupcake. I added the "chocolate chips" because it looked a little bland otherwise.

My advice: Don't beat yourself up if you are a few stitches off. Believe it or not, I have either a few more or less stitches than what the pattern called for. I actually didn't pay too much attention to the pattern. I was thrilled to get something that actually looked like a cupcake in the end.


At 7:58 PM, Blogger Lady P said...

yeah! a couple years later and people are really now getting into cupcakes of all sorts - you were SO ahead of the curve!!

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Neena said...

These are sooo adorable. I wish I could knit!


Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting